I am really digging this new ebook, by Peter Defty, a pioneer in fat adaptation and my coach during my transition from a carb burner to a fat burner! I loved it so much I have lifted (with permission) some of his ideas for the title of this blog. He has done an outstanding job of laying out very scientific ideas in an easy to understand format. Please take the time to read this and follow the Vespa page for more great info from Peter and his team.
Even if you are on your 5th year of low carb eating, like myself, you will learn something in this section. The graphics are awesome at literally painting a picture of how carb burners create and use energy vs how fat burners do the same thing. Ever wondered by your blood ketones are low even though you are not eating carbs?? He answers that question. Get through page 21 and you can more than hold your own with 99% of the keto/low carb folks (the other 1% read The Art & Sceince of Low Carbohydrate Living by Dr. Phinney and Dr. Volek AND this E-book).
Page 22-30 takes you on a deep dive into Peter's OFM program and how Vespa factors into that. Here he uses science to show you how OFM can help you maximize your athletic potential vs a strict keto type diet.
Having had the honor of working with Peter, I can tell you his knowledge on the subject of low carb athletic performance in individuals is second to none. Even the scientists in this field will tell you that what he is doing with his athletes is expanding what the scientific community even thought was possible.
Enough of me talking about it- Please take a few minutes and download this E-book today and read it. Would love to hear you comments and questions on it!
If you have been following my blog covering the past 5 1/2 years I have been on an OFM diet, you know that Peter Defty was one of the driving forces that got me started eating low carb/high fat and coached me to a fitness state I never thought was possible for me. The following video, featuring Peter, is one of the best explanations of how fat adaptation works in athletes (I watched it 3 times!). If you are just now jumping on the keto train, this is a must-watch video to understand how your body is working and using the fuel you are giving it. They cover a huge range of topics and Peter does a great job of breaking very complex subjects down into more simple terms.
13:00 ketones vs beta oxidation (an excellent primer on beta oxidation- much more coming on this very soon from Peter)
19:00 restoring glucose stores without taking in carbs & making glucose from fat
20:00 LDL cholesterol as energy packs (this is a newer subject that I am really looking forward to diving into)
22:00 strategic carbs (not all carbs are bad, even if you are 'keto')
24:00 need for aerobic exercise (building a base for your best athletic performance)
28:00 myth of salt and blood pressure
28:30 using carbs on keto diet
30:00 stress effects (as important as diet and sleep, in my opinion)
35:00 science studies vs real world
37:00 more detail on LDL
40:00 whole animal concept and portions
43:00 vegan or plant based diets (how to make it work on OFM)
44:00 winter is coming (how are the short days/long nights changing our bodies)
46:00 alcohol (holiday season is here, can I drink at parties?)
47:00 Vespa (I'm a huge fan of Vespa, Peter explains what it is and how it is helping athletes)